Thursday, June 30, 2011

Only in Alaska during Summer

I work in a dental office in downtown Kenai, Alaska.  That may not sound like much but it can get lively here during the summer months. 
Within the past few weeks we've had a series of events that both shock and surprise our staff and believe me, it takes alot to make us really run to the window and take a gander!  We are all Alaskan women and have seen it all, dealt with it all, and certainly have gotten a little jaded as a result.
One afternoon, a patient walked into our clinic and stated that there was a woman lying in the street just down the block from us.  Immediately, all the assistants rushed to the back window to verify the truth of the matter.  I was sitting at my desk ignoring the situation (see the above reference for Alaskan women).  My coworkers were excitedly announcing the blow-by-blow action.  I could tell the situation had escalated rapidly when one of my coworkers yelled, "Call 911 NOW!"  Of course, I was on the phone before she finished "911."  I was speaking with the dispatcher and repeating what was being observed.  Before I ended my call with the dispatcher, there were four patrol cars on the scene.  Apparently, the parties involved were trying to reconcile when the officers decided to take her to jail for domestic violence.
According to my coworkers, she was using the man as if he were the heavy bag in the boxing gym!  He just stood there and took the fist pounding she was meting out!  She drove her point home with a final kick between his legs.  Low blow but very effective! 
As she was being helped into the squad car, she adjusted her neon pink baseball cap and stepped very lady-like into the back seat.  The man was instructed to leave but seemed reluctant to do so.  His ladylove was being hauled away to the clink and he wanted to go along.  Separation anxiety, love/hate thing, absence makes the heart grow fonder seemed to be the theme and it came into play as quickly as the breeze.  Alcohol definitely was a factor!

Later in the same week, one of my coworkers came into work for her shift and announced that there was a half-naked man wandering down the street!  She said he was wearing a bright green sweatshirt and no pants!  Of course, all the ladies zoomed to get a glimpse from the security of the back window.  Needless to say, the so-called half-naked and certainly half-baked individual had disappeared into the treeline or at least into the apartments across the street.  That defines an Alaskan Streaker! 
Later that afternoon, our streaker was seen pushing his bicycle from the apartments across the street, sporting trousers and what appeared to be shoes?  Upon further inspection, the "shoes" were actually mittens!  We all watched incredulously as he gingerly pedalled away, fully clothed and shod, down the street and out of our neck of the woods!

Last, but not least, we got the scare of our lives here at the clinic.  It was a hot day; almost 70 degrees outside so we had all the doors and windows open to ventilate and cool the building.  The fresh air was welcome and the gentle cross breeze was refreshing.  It made it okay to be inside working and gave a glimpse of how wonderful the day was. 
I was sitting at my desk working peacefully when there was what sounded like a round of rapid gunfire coming from behind the building!  I ducked behind my desk and one of my doctors had rushed up the stairs and closed the back door.  I saw smoke wafting on the breeze from behind the door.  When I felt it was safe to look, I opened the backdoor and cautiously peered outside. 
Apparently, someone beyond the fence had accidentally or purposefully lit off a set of firecrackers within the city limits!  Highly illegal and it really sounded like a machine gun!  Everyone was curious but I explained the incident and we got to go on with the day with peace of mind.
Only in small town Alaska!

No comments:

Post a Comment